The Topeka Juvenile Correctional Facility was established in 1879 as the State Reform School and as the state's first institution for juvenile rehabilitation in the state. In 1901, the school was renamed the State Industrial School for Boys. In 1971, younger offenders who had been adjudicated delinquent or miscreant were transferred to the Atchison facility. In 1974, the name of the institution was changed to the Youth Center at Topeka. The former name, Topeka Juvenile Correctional Facility, was established during the 1997 Legislative Session. On July 1, 1997, responsibility for the juvenile correctional facilities in Kansas was transferred from the Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services to the Juvenile Justice Authority. In the spring of 2005 operations of Topeka Juvenile Correctional Facility and the new Kansas Juvenile Correctional Complex were merged under the Kansas Juvenile Correctional Complex name.
Overview | Parent Handbook (Manual Para Los Padres) | Programs | History | Superintendent
Juvenile Correctional Facility Population Data