- The U.S. Supreme Court struck down the death penalty laws in 40 states, including Kansas, in 1972. After several previous attempts, the 1994 Legislature enacted a death penalty law, which Governor Joan Finney allowed to become law without her signature. The statute took effect on July 1, 1994.
- Kansas statute established the death penalty by lethal injection as a sentencing option for offenders 18 years of age and older who are convicted of capital murder (K.S.A. 21-3439).
- A number of inmates have been convicted of capital murder but sentenced to life in prison (with a minimum term of 25 years to parole eligibility) instead of death.
- Kansas does not have a separate “death row.” Inmates sentenced to death are typically housed in El Dorado Correctional Facility (EDCF), along with other inmates who are in administrative segregation.
- In the event that a female inmate is sentenced to death, she will be held at the Topeka Correctional Facility (TCF), the only facility for female inmates in Kansas.
- Inmates managed at EDCF or TCF will be transferred to the Lansing Correctional Facility within a week of the scheduled date of the execution.
- The average annual cost of incarceration at the El Dorado Correctional Facility for Fiscal Year 2011 is estimated to be $25,420.
KANSAS CAPITAL PUNISHMENT INMATES (as of Aug. 2012)
|Name||KDOC#||Race||Date of Birth|| Date Capital|
|County of Conviction|
|James Kraig Kahler||101355||White||Jan. 15, 1963||Oct. 11, 2011||Osage|
|Justin Eugene Thurber||93868||White||March 14, 1983||March 20, 2009||Cowley|
|Gary Wayne Kleypas||66129||White||Oct. 8, 1955||Dec. 3, 2008||Crawford|
|Scott Dever Cheever||72423||White||August 19, 1981||January 23, 2008||Greenwood|
|Sidney John Gleason||64187||Black||April 22, 1979||Aug. 28, 2006||Barton|
|Douglas Stephen Belt||64558||White||Nov. 19, 1961||Nov. 17, 2004||Sedgwick|
|John Edward Robinson, Sr.||45690||White||Dec. 27, 1943||Jan. 21, 2003||Johnson|
|Johnathan Daniel Carr||76065||Black||March 30, 1980||Nov. 15, 2002||Sedgwick|
|Reginald Dexter Carr, Jr.||63942||Black||Nov. 14, 1977||Nov. 15, 2002||Sedgwick|