The Kansas Department of Corrections will provide notification to victims of the following changes regarding an inmate's status. Please notify our office either in writing or by telephone each time your name or address changes. We will not be able to provide notification if we do not have your current contact information:
- PUBLIC COMMENT SESSION - The Kansas Prisoner Review Board holds a parole hearing with an inmate one month prior to the inmate's parole eligibility date. Initial parole eligibility dates are based upon an inmate's sentence length. Subsequent parole eligibility dates are determined by the Board. The Board holds a public comment session one month prior to an inmate's parole hearing. Public comment sessions provide victims and other interested parties with the opportunity to present their views regarding the possibility of an inmate's parole. The dates, times and locations of the public comment sessions will be provided to victims by the Kansas Department of Corrections.
- RELEASE ON PAROLE STATUS - discretionary release of an inmate granted by the Kansas Prisoner Review Board after the inmate has served at least the minimum sentence required by law. The offender may be returned to incarceration for violating conditions of release.
- RELEASE ON CONDITIONAL RELEASE STATUS - mandatory supervised release established by law that usually occurs when the inmate has served one half of the maximum sentence. The offender can be returned to incarceration for violating conditions of release.
- RELEASE ON POST-RELEASE STATUS - mandatory supervised release of an inmate who has served the incarceration portion of the sentence under provisions of the Sentencing Guidelines Act or whose sentence was converted to a guidelines sentence. The offender can be returned to incarceration for violating conditions of release.
- EXPIRATION OF SENTENCE - release occurring when an inmate has served to the maximum sentence date.
- DEATH - notification of the death of an inmate.
- ESCAPE - an unauthorized absence by an inmate from the correctional facility to which the inmate is assigned. Notice of an escape will be provided to victims as soon as possible.
- ASSIGNMENT TO A WORK RELEASE PROGRAM - an inmate classified as minimum custody may be assigned to a work release program. The inmate is employed in the community but must return to the facility during non-working hours.
- ELIGIBILITY FOR COMMUNITY SERVICE WORK ASSIGNMENT - an inmate classified as minimum custody may be assigned to supervised work crews outside the security perimeter of the facility.
- APPLICATION FOR CLEMENCY - request from an inmate for sentence modification requiring approval of the Governor.
You will need to provide your name and address to the Kansas Department of Corrections and the District/County Attorney's Office, and update that information when your name or address changes.