Lansing Correctional Facility (LCF) is the state’s largest and oldest correctional complex for adult male inmates. At the close of 2013, LCF had a capacity of 2,405. The complex consists of the Central Unit, which includes an 11-acre maximum-security facility, and a 46-acre medium-security facility, and the East Unit which is an 85-acre minimum-security facility.
LCF also houses one of two centers for the KDOC’s transportation system that provides for the movement of inmates among the state's correctional facilities.
As with other facilities under the management of the Secretary of Corrections, education, health services and food services are provided through contracts with private vendors.
Originally named the Kansas State Penitentiary when the facility was authorized by the Kansas Constitution in 1859, the name was legislatively changed to the Lansing Correctional Facility (LCF) on June 18, 1990.