Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools

Log in


You are here: Home / Facilities / FAQ / Resident Trust Accounts

Resident Trust Accounts

by Nancy Burghart — last modified May 25, 2023 10:52 AM

Inmates deposit 10 percent of their incoming money less any outstanding obligations into a forced savings account. Use of saved funds is restricted to payment of garnishment, identifications (birth certificate, driver's license, and social security card), civil filing fees, transcript fees, subpoena fees or other Warden-approved uses that facilitate an inmate’s re-entry back in to the community.

All forced savings account funds, plus interest, are returned to the inmate upon release.

For information about sending funds to an inmate, please visit the inmate banking section.

Can I find out how much money an inmate has in his/her account?
No. The KDOC does not share any information (e.g. account balance or how the inmate spent the funds) on an inmate’s trust account. To confirm whether an inmate has received money, you may contact Centralized Inmate Banking at 785-746-7630. You will be asked to supply the date the funds were sent, the method used to send the funds, the amount of funds sent and the sender’s name. 

What happens if an inmate has no money or very little in his account?
Indigent status is defined as an inmate whose inmate bank account, during the previous month, has a cumulative spendable amount of less than $12. Inmates who are indigent will be supplied with essential items including writing supplies, postage and personal hygiene items such as a toothbrush, toothpaste, disposable razor (general population inmates only), comb or pick and soap. 

What can inmates do with their money?
Each facility has a canteen, a store through which inmates purchase allowable items. Inmates can purchase postage, snacks, personal products, radios, TVs, other electronic equipment, handicraft materials, shoes and other approved items depending upon an inmate’s incentive level. Inmates also may request disbursements for expenses such as medical co-pays, copies, magazine/newspaper subscriptions and legal fees. Court-ordered or statutorily mandated disbursements such as restitution, child support and room/board costs also can be collected. 

May family or friends provide glasses, shoes or other items?
No. The KDOC’s medical contractor will provide for items that are deemed necessary, such as glasses. 

Can inmates work?
Inmates must work unless they have a medical condition or other approved reason that will not allow for work assignments.

Examples of facility work assignment areas are food service, laundry and custodial work. Other employment possibilities include work release programs, traditional correctional industries, which are operated directly by KDOC staff, and private correctional industries programs where the KDOC enters into agreements with private firms.

Inmates in traditional industries receive incentive pay ranging from $0.25-$0.60 per hour. This compares to a maximum of $1.05 per day that inmates may receive for facility work assignments. Through KDOC partnerships with private industries, inmates earn at least federal minimum wage. Traditional/private industries program inmates pay 25 percent of their gross wages in partial reimbursement for room and board.

In addition to other KDOC administrative fees, inmates pay court-ordered restitution, child support and federal and state taxes. More employment information is available in the FAQ's employment section.


Document Actions