Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools

Log in


You are here: Home / Facilities / FAQ / Admission RDU

Admission RDU

by Nancy Burghart — last modified Jul 14, 2021 11:25 AM
What is RDU?


Upon admission, all inmates are photographed, fingerprinted and placed in the Reception & Diagnostic Unit (RDU). All inmates are assigned to the intake level upon admission.

Male inmates are initially housed at El Dorado Correctional Facility’s (EDCF) RDU. All female inmates are housed at Topeka Correctional Facility (TCF) where the intake process occurs for females.

Inmates are searched, showered and provided with a health evaluation. The inmate’s property will be inventoried and either issued to the inmate or returned with officers transporting the inmate to KDOC custody. Inmates complete the RDU process in approximately two weeks though this time may vary. A permanent facility placement  for male inmates may take up to two months. The initial classification process includes several tests, an interview and an evaluation of court documents and other information including physical, family and criminal history.

The process will determine the inmate’s:

  • Custody level
  • Service needs
  • Program needs including education
  • Facility placement.

Inmates also will undergo orientation. The inmate will be provided with information about KDOC rules and regulations, behavioral expectations and the disciplinary process. Inmates also are advised as to how to access medical, mental health, religious and educational services and programs. A staff member also will work with the inmate on establishing a visiting and telephone list to communicate with family and friends.



Admission Property:
Attachment H, IMPP 12-120

Upon admission to the KDOC, inmates are assigned to Intake Level. Attachment H, IMPP 12-120 lists what items may be retained by inmates when they are taken in to the custody of the KDOC. All other items are considered contraband.

Items not allowed by the KDOC will be subject to the policies and procedures of the facility from where the inmate was held prior to KDOC custody, per IMPP 12-120, Security and Control: Control of Inmate Personal Property.

  • What items are issued to an inmate in RDU?
    Each inmate is provided with clean, durable and presentable clothing of the proper size that is suitable to climatic conditions, and basic hygiene items and shower shoes. Each inmate also receives four pre-paid envelopes in their intake package. 
  • What happens to the money that an inmate brings with him/her to RDU?
    If an inmate is in possession of any money, the funds will be placed in the inmate’s trust fund account. More information about sending money to an inmate can be found in the Inmate Banking Section


Visiting and Mail 

    • Can family members visit an inmate in RDU?
      No. All inmates in the RDU process are at the Intake Level and have not yet earned visiting privileges. Visits are limited to attorneys, clergy and law enforcement until the inmate earns a promotion to Incentive Level 1. While in RDU, an inmate fills out a visitation form with the names he/she would like to be granted permission for visits when the inmate has moved to the next incentive level. The inmate is responsible for ensuring potential visitors receive visiting applications that must be approved before visitors will be allowed in to a correctional facility. The list will be valid for 45 days after leaving RDU. More information about the application process is available in the FAQs visiting section.
    • Can an inmate send/receive mail while in RDU?
      Yes. You may send letters to an inmate in the RDU; however, packages are not allowed. Inmates receive four pre-paid envelopes in their intake package. Inmates may not receive stamps through the mail. Stamps, envelopes and paper can be purchased through the facility’s canteen, a store through which inmates are provided an opportunity to purchase allowable items.

To contact a male inmate in the RDU, you may write to him at the following address until his approved phone list is activated:

Inmate’s Full Name,  KDOC# XXXXX
El Dorado Correctional Facility
P.O. Box 311
El Dorado, KS 67042 

Female inmates may receive mail at: 

Inmate’s Full Name,  KDOC# XXXXX
Topeka Correctional Facility
815 S.E. Rice Road
Topeka, KS 66607

Please remember to include the inmate’s full name and KDOC number in the address with all correspondence or the mail will not be delivered. The envelope also must contain the sender’s full name and address as well or the letter will not be delivered. Please note that all mail is subject to search. 


For more information about inmate mail, please review Kansas Administrative Regulation (K.A.R.) 44-12-601, Inmate Writing and Other Inmate Communications or Publications. Also, Internal Management Policy and Procedure (IMPP) 12-120 Secuirty and Control: Control of Inmate Personal Property provides additional information.


Telephone and Emergencies

  • Can an inmate make phone calls while in RDU?
    Yes. Inmates are permitted telephone privileges to make collect/pre-paid calls shortly after the reception process begins. Inmates cannot receive calls. Upon admission, the inmate fills out a phone list of those numbers that the inmate would like to call. The inmate will update the phone list every 120 days thereafter. Every number that an inmate requests be added to the call list will be contacted by staff, verified and asked if the person wants to be on the inmate’s call list. The numbers are then activated through the facility’s phone system in approximately one week. Inmates may establish a telephone list of up to 20 individual phone numbers.

If you need additional information on the inmate telephone process including how to establish an account, please visit the Inmate Communications section and/or review Internal Management Policy and Procedure (IMPP) 10-111 Programs and Services: Inmate Access to Facility and Coinless Telephones.  

    • How can I reach an inmate in an emergency?
      In the event of a verifiable emergency such as a serious illness or death in the family, you may call the facility. Callers must provide a call back number and their relation to the inmate. Staff will also need the nature of the emergency, the name of the person who is sick or has passed away, the person’s relation to the inmate and the name and contact information for the hospital or funeral home.
    • Before the message will be given to the inmate, facility staff will contact the hospital or funeral home to verify the information that you have provided concerning the emergency. Once the message is verified, the inmate will be notified. Staff may discuss options with you for notifying the inmate including if you would like to tell the inmate or if you prefer a chaplain or counselor relay the information. 


                  Other General RDU Questions

                  •  How does the KDOC determine where an inmate will be housed?

                  When bed space and programming slots become available in coordination with medical consultation, an inmate’s facility placement is determined. If an offender is a recent parolee or post-release violator and not a new commitment to the KDOC, the inmate could be placed wherever space is available in the KDOC system based on an inmate’s classification status.

                  • How can an inmate address his/her questions while in RDU?
                    A form, called a Form-9,  is available to the inmate as a formal procedure to address any questions or concerns. After the form is completed, the inmate must turn it in to the security staff. After receiving the Form-9, the staff will have 10 days to respond to the inmate’s request. 
                  • What medical/dental/mental health services are available at RDU?
                    Within the first three days at RDU, the inmate will be assessed for medical needs. Within seven days of being newly admitted and within 30 days for parole violators, each inmate receives a dental exam. If major dental work is required, this will be done once the inmate is transferred out of RDU to a permanent facility. Mental health services also are available. 


                  Document Actions